The first step, and one of the most enjoyable moments along the route to your pilots licence, is your trial instructional flight (TIF). This is your first opportunity to actually fly the aircraft and to gain an understanding of what will be involved. Anyone with even the slightest interest in flying will find the experience immensely rewarding and enjoyable. There’s no obligation to continue training after your TIF and our gift vouchers are perfect if someone you know has an interest in aviation.

We offer training for both General Aviation and Recreational Aviation. You’ll find further information on these two options below.


General Aviation Pilot Licence

Recreational Pilot Licence

Wherever your interest in flying may be taking you a Recreational Pilots Licence (RPL) is the first step along the route. This licence allows you to pilot a single-engine aircraft and carry passengers within 25nm of the departure aerodrome. To achieve this licence you must be at least 16 years old, have a minimum of 25 hours of flying experience and pass a theory and flight test.

You can also add endorsements to the Recreational Pilots Licence:
• Controlled aerodrome
• Controlled airspace
• Flight radio
• Navigation (this removes the 25nm limit on the licence)

What if I already hold a Pilot Certificate issued by Recreational Aviation Australia (RAAus)?
If you are interested in obtaining the RPL, your hours and experience will all be recognized as an equivalent to the RPL. You are required to fill in a CASA application form and undertake a flight review before you can exercise the privileges of your RPL.

Endorsements on your RAAus Pilot Certificate may also be granted on your RPL such as navigation if you meet the minimum requirements. To gain endorsements such as controlled airspace, you will be required to undertake the appropriate training.

Private Pilot Licence

A Private Pilot’s Licence requires a minimum of 40 hours of flying experience. Once you have achieved this level, you can fly an aircraft as the pilot in command in private operations. To achieve this licence, you must be 17 years old, have a Class 1 or 2 medical, and pass theory and flight tests.

There are several theory exams of varying complexity which need to be completed at various stages of your training. Much of the preparation for the smaller exams (pre-solo, pre-area solo) is undertaken during your normal lessons. To assist you to prepare for the larger exams we offer in-house courses or if you prefer to self-study we are able to provide advice on what to read and where to get it. More information on the in-house courses is outlined in the Theory section of this website.

All our General Aviation flight training is undertaken in accordance with the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA) Regulations.. If you require more detail regarding the path to your Pilot’s Licence you can refer to the “Learning to Fly” page of the CASA website ( Alternatively please feel free to give us a call and we will be happy to answer any queries.


Recreational Aviation Pilot Certificate

Recreational Aviation offers light aircraft to enable you to enter the aviation market in a more economical way, and is aimed exclusively at the recreational pilot, looking at flying primarily for fun. This sector of aviation is controlled by Recreational Aviation Australia (RAAus) under delegation from the Civil Aviation Safety Authority (CASA).

Recreational Aviation exists largely to cater for those who wish to fly lighter aircraft (previously known as Ultralights) with a maximum of 1 passenger. There are several other limits to operating in the Recreational Aviation sector so if you need more detail regarding its suitability for you please feel free to contact us.

All people wishing to undertake training in a recreational aircraft are required to first become members of Recreational Aviation Australia (RAAus) and obtain a Student Pilot Certificate.




In order to achieve the full RA-Aus Pilot Certificate a minimum of 20 hours of flight time including 5 hours solo is required. The other 15 hours is spent flying with your instructor in ‘dual’ flight. Once you have passed the flight test, and acquired your certificate you can then fly within 25 nautical miles of the airport where you departed from. If you wish to venture further afield you can undertake the cross country endorsement which involves a minimum 10 hours of navigation exercises.

If you have more than 20 hours experience on general aviation aircraft, then all that is required is a 5-hour conversion to acquire your pilot certificate.

All our Recreational Aviation training is undertaken in accordance with the Recreational Aviation Operations Manual. For details regarding learning to fly Recreational Aircraft please refer to